Role of the Board of Governors
Every school and academy has a governing body to represent the public and stakeholders.
At Newbold Church School our governing body comprises of representatives from the Trustees of the school, St John's Church, parents and staff.
Its duties include:
- setting strategic direction, policies and objectives
- the school budget
- reviewing progress against the school's budget and objectives
- appointing, challenging and supporting the headteacher
The Governing Body is made up of fourteen members:
- 8 Foundation Governors - 1 Vacancy - Ex-Officio (appointeb by the PCC)
- 2 Parent Governors (appointment by parent elections)
- 3 Staff Governors (appointed by staff elections)
- Pam Lister (Chair)
- Steve Lee (Vice Chair)
- John Bolton
- Ena Johnson
- Stephanie Parkes
- Brian Smith
- Sue Whyld
Foundation Governor Ex Officio
Clerk to the Governors:
- Joanne Brown
Recent Ex Governors
- Matt Bradshaw (Parent)
- Meghan Ashworth (Parent)
- Sharon Fields (Staff Governor)
- Marie Witham
The Board of Governors is divided into three sub-committees:
Responsible for overseeing all aspects of the school budget and finances. It also monitors all aspects of health & safety and the maintenance of the school buildings.
Teaching & Learning Committee
This committee oversees all aspects of teaching and learning within the school. This includes pupil achievement, behaviour and welfare, attendance, spiritual, moral, social and cultural development
- Responsible for all aspects of staffing, school policies, admissions, recruitment, discipline and grievance
Each governor is linked to an area of the curriculum via the staff subject leader and there is also a governor specifically linked to the teaching of children with special educational needs.
The governors serve for a minimum of 4 years and some have served for much longer! Governors meet officially once every half-term for a Full Governing Body Meeting. Sub committees also meet at least once per half-term.
The minutes of the meeting are public documents and are available from the Clerk to Governors.
Governors are happy to deal with enquiries or concerns from parents in conjunction with the headteacher and within a strict code of confidentially. This can be made via the Clerk to Governors at the school office, via email, or informally via any of the governors in person - some of whom are regularly at the school gates.
Governors are not all educational experts but do endeavour to provide an independant view and common sense approach. They continually strive to uphold the schools vision and values in which children can learn and flourish in a safe, happy and Christian environment where every child is respected as an individual.
NCS has no associate governors.
More information about the Governors at Newbold C of E Primary School is available below
- Governor Roles, Responsibilities and Other Information
- Governance Structure
- Governor Attendance Stats 2015-16
- Governor Attendance Stats 2016-17
- Governor Attendance Stats 2017-18
- Scheme of Delegation
- Report to Parish Church Council Annual Meeting
- Governor Statements