At Newbold Church of England Primary School, we put the needs of each child first so that every individual can be the best that they can be. Our broad, balanced skills based curriculum makes many links between subjects so that children can use and apply their skills and values in all that they do.
Our school curriculum is underpinned by the following drivers:
- Well-articulated distinctive Christian values.
- A focus on the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the whole child.
- A skills based focus that instils positive attitudes towards learning in all our children.
- The premise that all children will receive a personalised curriculum that challenges and extends.
Our curriculum is delivered through:
- A combination of a thematic project based approach in 3 termly units, with the freedom to work outside of rigid subject boundaries AND discreet teaching of reading, handwriting, grammar and maths, to meet individual needs effectively.
- A child centred approach, with enjoyment as a key feature.
- A clearly mapped curriculum that builds on previous learning.
- A text rich environment that builds children’s range of vocabulary.
- A clear progression of skills that run through the whole curriculum including:
- Social and emotional skills to build independence and resilience.
- Enquiry skills, including questioning and time management.
- Problem solving skills.
- Computing skills.
- A structure that facilitates quality ‘next steps’ feedback to pupils through conferencing and marking.
- High quality support and intervention to meet identified needs quickly, including focus writing groups, phonics groups and maths groups.
- A culture of working together and sharing of ideas, with time for teachers and support staff to plan and evaluate together.