EYFS Areas of Learning
We follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) guidance and support children’s development under the seven areas of learning. These are:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development – fostering children’s confidence, independence and social skills with peers and adults.
- Communication and Language – developing children’s oral language skills, broadening their vocabulary and understanding of the English language.
- Reading and Writing – using a variety of strategies including phonics, story times, Pie Corbett story telling techniques, guided reading and play based approaches to support early reading and writing.
- Mathematics – using songs and games to develop early numeracy skills including counting, addition, subtraction, sharing, creating patterns, measurements and using shapes.
- Expressive Arts and Design – giving children opportunities to develop their skills and imagination in art, dance, music and drama.
- Physical Development – providing opportunities in physical education lessons as well as through daily provision for children to develop their gross and fine motor skills, in preparation for developing their reading, numeracy and writing skills.
- Understanding the World – exploring the natural world, science and our communities in age-appropriate ways such as visits to church, gardening and cooking.